Polish Breeders Club

Membership Only 

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Showing Age

Philip Urrutia

I have some white crested bearded LF, that were hatched in June, I have a few that I am planning to show.

might be a little light in weight, I will show them next month, but I want to get them used to the show cages.

Any experience on the age factor?  Thanks, phil

September 10, 2015 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gcryar

HI Phil

Glad to hear that you are into Polish.  I don't know exactly what you are asking, but if you have specific questions, I will try to answer.   Glen Cryar

September 11, 2015 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Philip Urrutia

Hi Glen, do you still do the antelope, in Wyoming?

The question I quess is they birds were hatched in June, I have thirteen at this time, are they too young to show?  I am going to show them.  Well at least 5.  I will try to take a few photo's tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, today, rainy, cloudy, and cool.   I have been rotating them in cages and let them spend the day in them, to let them get used, well somewhat used to the cage.  But they are actually doing quite well, I have been moving slowly about putting my hands in the cage, and talking to them, so they don't spook.....then gradually making a little more disturbance,   Also I know some are light, in weight.  I have been feeding them high protein because of their feather growth needs. I am feeding right now 20 percent and they have some really nice feathering, 

Thanks Glen, will get photo's out.  phil ([email protected])

--
September 15, 2015 at 10:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gcryar

Hi Phil

No, I am not making the hunting trip to Wyoming these days.  Got to old.

Normally it takes at least five months for birds to get large enough to show.  it really depends on the strain.  I have seen some birds be ready at four months and others not ready after eight months.  Usually the females are ready before the males.  Moving the birds around between show cages will usually get them to tame down and show better.  20% feed should be enough protien at that age.  I am now conditioning with a mix of 25% turkey starter, 25% 11 way scratch and 50 % 22 percent laying pellets.  Seems to be working.  We had 3rd best of the show two weeks ago in Georgia and Show Champion this past weekend at the Alabama Bantam club young bird show, both with a white crested black pullet.

Send me the pics of your birds, I would like to look at them.

Glen

September 28, 2015 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.