Polish Breeders Club

Membership Only 

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Crevecoeur vs. Polish

cluck-cluck

I just did a comparison between the two birds since they are so alike to the untrained eye.  And believe me, my eyes are not too well trained,:lol: !  But I'm trying!!!

http://www.sweet-obsessions.com/Chickens/CreveVSPolis.pdf

Let me know what you think :)

February 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

polishbreedersclub

Maybe you should head up a crevie committee!! Could I use your comparison for future newsletter use?

--

Sherry Parker

Polish Breeders Club president

February 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cluck-cluck

certainly you may!  What does a Crevie committee do?  I mean, what would be the goals?  LOL, sorry, just don't know!

February 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

J. Hoffman

Educate, network and promote. Reach out to the other Crev breeders in the club, get a discussion going about where the current stock of crevs need the most work, what lines are a really good starting point, etc. Your chart is an awesome start. 

--

February 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cluck-cluck

Well, Even on BYC, the Creve owners come and go.  There is no money to be made with them, as nobody buys eggs or birds.  People try them out, then give up on them, even people who raise lots of birds. I'm really hoping Heritage Hens comes back, but she had a setback with her birds, and I'm afraid she became too frustrated. Another person had to give up her roosters as they were too loud, the loudest in her flock, so now she just has hens.  I, myself, am a city girl in the 'burbs and I try to accommodate the birds, keeping them in the house at night, in a blanket covered box,which will have to be updated as it will soon become too hot for the birds in such a box, so I'm designing a ventilated sound reducing box, but am having a bit of trouble making decisions ;P.   If my neighbors should really hate my birds and want me to get rid of them, then there go my plans!

I know of only one person who has had these birds a while aside from Dwayne Urich, and she isn’t socializing much, too busy I suppose.  She just doesn’t do much talking I presume.  However, I plan on getting some of her eggs in April if they’re laying (seasonal layers) and really look forward to seeing what her birds are like.  Unless we get to move to the countryside, I’ll just be doing very tight and limited breeding, not expecting to be able to sell or “dispose” of extra chicks.  I’ll try hatching eggs only from my best birds, but only to keep myself provided with laying hens.  I will be very happy if I can do that successfully. 

February 18, 2013 at 7:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

J. Hoffman

If you are in the city perhaps try to network with someone who can keep roosters for you in the country. bring your best hens out and set up mobile single-mating pens to put the roosters in with them. get the eggs you to hatch out then take your hen back home. take the cockerals out to the farm once they start crowing and allow them to grow and make your selections for potential future breeders

--

February 19, 2013 at 9:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

J. Hoffman

you may want to obtain a copy of "Rare Poultry Breeds" by David Scrivener. It has a very good section covering the history of the Crev, Houdan and related breeds such as the Caumont. 

--

February 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cluck-cluck

Thank you for the book suggestion.  I've seen it on Amazon.com, but hesitated to purchase it since funds are tight and I didn't know if it would have anything on the Creve, it's good to know that it does! 

I don't know anyone in the country, but I'll try networking.  However, I can't imagine anyone would take care of my birds without substantial compensation.  It's not just feed and use of land, but labor involved.  With only a few boys, it's easy to keep them as "pets" and keep them quiet in the mornings and nights.  We are almost always at home, and if one has a burr up his @$$ and is making a lot of noise, I just bring him inside, slap on a diaper (yes, diaper, LOL) and keep him in the house a while.  I think it's the only real option I have....

February 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

toybarons

First of all, wonderful comparison chart, cluck-cluck. It's very well done. I'm here in Canada. LIke the US, there are not many people raising this breed. Next to none. At one time, I was considering getting into them and had a few birds. Only it came down to choosing between Crevies and Houdans and I went with the Houdans. Only I have not lost my love for the Creve breed as they are wonderful birds. If you ever want to talk about Creves, contact me anytime. I still would like to help out with the breed.

February 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cluck-cluck

I'm really glad you all like it and hope it will be of good use to some people.  I did not use a current SOP, so there may be other things recognized now.  However, I can't imagine that much has changed.  I really needed a side by side, in the same order, LOL, because my memory is funny, "where did I just read that?  On the Polish side or the Creve side?"  Since I'm getting older, I'd worry about dementia, only I was always that way, ROFL

February 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

horseladytritt

I have Crevecoeurs and would be interested in hearing from this group. I am just learning about the breed but have been breed Polish and JGs for sometime and set up to continue with this for the as long as possible. And am interested in showing them.

July 16, 2013 at 2:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cluck-cluck

Hi horseladytritt!  I'm here, just don't check in that often!  So glad to hear you have some Crevecoeurs!  Where did you get yours may I ask?  My first ones were from Ideal, and second ones from McMurray (which I think are better, nice tail spread, and I think they will be larger??  But they're only 4 weeks old)  I plan on contacting Duane Urch to see if I can order some eggs next year.  At that point, when I see what all the birds are like, I plan on making a plan, LOL.  There really is no way of knowing the state of Crevecoeurs unless they're in front of you.  I will tell you that my Ideal birds are very small.  My boy is only now (at 9 months) just starting to get close to 5 lbs.  My girl is around 3 lbs.  Very small.  I got them as a side when I ordered my Sultans, but ended up enjoying them more.  (I still have my sultans, and adore the girls.  So sweet and they lay a lot of eggs except in the extreme heat)

Anyway, eventually, I plan on a breeding program, but I'm kind of in the learning phase.  There are many directions to take a breeding program, but knowing what is available to start with is important, because it's important to start with the best available stock if possible.  Whatever I get, I will share my opinion on them and let ya'all know who might have the better this or that.  There are so many things that need to be worked on:

Shape/build/width = type

Weight

red earlobes

these are the most important flaws that need to be cleaned up.  Most Crevecoeurs are so leggy and small, it's tough!

I'd love to hear what you're learning and seeing in your birds!  I figure this will be taking the rest of my life to help the crevecoeurs make a come back, LOL.  So no rush on my part.  I'll be doing a lot of experimenting.  Possibly outcrossing to dorking.  The dorking has the same kind of flesh and is believed to be an ansestor of the Crevecoeur.  They are also red earlobed and lay white eggs.  They are somewhat thicker but not far off in body type, and much larger, even today, they can possibly bring size back to the Creves.  So I'm seriously thining of doing some crosses.  It'll take years to clean up the genetics of such a cross, but it should be fun, especially if I'm successful at getting size and type closer to SOP.

The other choice is to get the best lines available and "squeeze" them into shape, according to Mr. Bob Blosi.  I might end up with two projects, I don't know.  I don't have that much faith in a single line of Creves.

Well, that's what I'm up to, I'd love to hear what you're thinking!  Again, nice to see you here!

July 28, 2013 at 5:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Thomas Dean

I liked the chart comparison!!!!! Very well done.
I have some LF Black Polish (bearded) that in many ways look like the description of crevs.  I wonder how often the two are interbred...

October 14, 2016 at 10:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.